Am I at risk?
You will not be at risk if products containing asbestos are undisturbed and undamaged. It is extremely unlikely that levels of asbestos found in any building owned by Cartrefi Conwy will be harmful.
What is Asbestos?
Building materials containing asbestos were used very widely from around 1930 to 1980, and particularly from 1960 onward. It was used because asbestos fibres are strong and resistant to heat and chemicals. When asbestos becomes damaged it releases fibres into the air which can cause problems if inhaled.
Do’s and Don’ts
- Do contact your Neighbourhood Co-ordinator before you carry out any works to your home
- Do report any damaged or worn asbestos-containing materials to us on 0300 124 0040
- Don’t carry out any DIY activities that may damage asbestos-containing materials
- Don’t sweep, dust or vacuum any debris that may contain asbestos
- Don’t sand, scrap, drill or break anything you think may contain asbestos
- Don’t walk through debris that may contain asbestos, it will contaminate other areas of you home.
You need to be aware that do it yourself (DIY) activities such as sanding or drilling may disturb products containing asbestos and release fibres into your home. It is vital that you ask our permission before carrying out any home improvements or maintenance so we can check our records for existing asbestos information.
If you are at all concerned that you may have damaged or ageing asbestos in your home please do not hesitate to contact us by calling 0300 124 0040.
Last modified on February 19th, 2020 at 12:43 pm