I’ve lost power in my home. What should I do?

I’ve lost power in my home. What should I do?

Important: make sure you keep a torch handy in case you have a power cut.

Before you report a repair

If all of your electricity goes off:

  • check you have credit on your meter or that your bill has been paid; and
  • see if there has been a power cut by checking if the street lights are on.
  • If there has been a power cut, you will need to contact your electricity supplier for assistance.
  • If the electricity meter is faulty, vandalised or damaged you will need to contact your supplier.

Warning – never tamper with the electricity supplier’s fuse, meter or seals.

Trip switches can operate for various reasons, including:

  • an overloaded circuit, for example too many appliances being used at once
  • faulty or misused appliances, for example cookers and extension leads
  • unclean cookers or toasters
  • overfilled kettles
  • faulty immersion heaters
  • light bulbs blowing

If your lighting stops working, check the trip switches marked ‘lights’ are switched on. If any are off, switch off the main switch (usually the red one at the end), reset the circuit breaker and switch the main switch back on. Check to see which light has ‘blown’.

If your sockets stop working, unplug all electrical appliances, switch off the main switch (usually the red one at the end), reset the circuit breaker and switch the main switch back on. Go around the house plugging the appliances back in until you find the one with the fault.

Last modified on January 27th, 2017 at 3:32 pm